Monday, August 9, 2010

Getting Started!

Alright so Im gonna share with you a bit on how we got started when we finally dived in to this project!

My mom and I decided it would be best to cut fabric before we do any sewing (makes sense right?!)

here is my mom cutting her fabric while Im (besides playing paparazzi) am reading off what she needs to cut.

here I am cutting my fabric while my mom reads off the measurements. (please ignore the wardrobe I was on vacation) My poor mom had to repeat herself about 5 million times! Im not incompetent I swear! Well maybe just a little. Shed tell me the dimensions and how many I needed to do and I would flip the numbers around in my head when I repeated it so shed say no Candace its this. We went round and round until I finally got it!


here is my stack after round 1 of cutting!

We also came up with the best way to keep our cut fabrics organized for each block.


for those of you who have never seen the dear jane pattern everything is listed like a grid. It is lettered for each row going across and numbered for each row going down! This is truely the best way to stay organized. At the end of the day we had all these lil sandwich bags full of our cut fabric labeled with their appropriate letter and number according to their spot on this grid. This made it a lot easier for me to keep up with everyday and bring do the house to work on with her.



I also had a bag for my small scraps, because you end up with a lot! Any larger scraps I folded up and put back in the bag they came in. Also since all the blocks are 5" when completed they fit just right in one of the small bags! (this way I wont lose any)

We got a lot of cutting and a lot of sewing done. I will be posting each block and our experiences with them, but for now I think it is important to share that some times being a little ocd about organizing fabrics and blocks is VERY VERY helpful!!! (and important)

~candace & nanette!~


No comments:

Post a Comment